Large Sauce Pan, Ladle
Ingredients Serves 3:
1. 150 egg noodles
2. 200g chicken breast
3. 1.5 litre chicken stock (best to make your own chicken stock or buy a very good quality ready made chicken stock from Waitrose, rather than use chicken stock cubes; as a very good stock makes this dish)
4. 1 star anise
5. 1 cinnamon bark
6. 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
7. approx 20g ginger finely slice into match sticks
8. 2 celery finely chopped
9. 1 medium size carrot finely chopped
10. a handful of spring onions (chop off white bottom at approx 1.5 inches and the rest chopped finely)
11. a handful of coriander leaves finely chopped
12. a handful of Thai sweet holy basil (a type of basil commonly used in Thailand and South East Asian cuisine with a distinct sweet aroma and taste)
13. 1 lime, slice in half
14. 1 chilli finely chopped (deseeded as well if you prefer your soup mild than not spicy)
15. 4 tbsp fish sauce
16. 2 tsp palm sugar
17. Some Kompot Black peppercorns
The Chicken Noodle Soup:
1. In a saucepan simmer the chicken breast, chicken stock, 3cm spring onion slices, ginger, star anise, cinnamon bark, fish sauce, sugar and some peppercorns. Cover the sauce pan with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. After 10 minutes, remove the star anise, cooked chicken and cinnamon bark. Flake the chicken with 2 forks and set aside. Discard the star anise and cinnamon bark.
2. Add carrots and celery to the stock and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add egg noodles and cook for 3 minutes.
Serve with fresh chopped Thai sweet holy basil, chillies, coriander leaves and rest of the chopped spring onions.