I love crème patissière and I love that it is so versatile. With this mixture I’ve made a strawberry tart, used it as a filling to eclairs, croquembouche and in many other occasions I simply served it with some lovely berries and crushed amaretto or lavander shortbread biscuits for an added texture.
A bowl, whisk, 2 sauce pans
Ingredients Makes approx . 400ml:
1. 100g egg yolks (approx. 5 medium size egg yolks)
2. 100g caster sugar
3. 40g plain flour
4. Pinch of salt
5. 450ml full fat milk
6. ½ tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod (beans only)
Vanilla crème patissière:
1. Place 2 cling films on a plate overlapping each other and set aside.
2. On a clean bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until the mixture becomes light and pale. Whisk the plain flour until well combined with the egg and sugar.
5. Finally transfer your mixture in a sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk continuously until the mixture is smooth and has thickened, just when it starts to boil remove from heat. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
6. Pour mixture on the cling film, leave to cool for 30-40 seconds then cover with another cling film so that the mixture does not form a skin, then place in the fridge for a least 1 hour before use. This mixture can now be use within 2 days kept in the fridge the whole time.