Sieve, bowl, whisk and knife
Ingredients Makes 300g:
1. 225g strong plain flour
2. Pinch of salt
3. 110g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
4. 2-3 tbsp. icing sugar or caster sugar
5. 2 egg yolks
6. 1 tbsp. full fat milk
The Short Crust:
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl; add butter into the bowl and then rub flour, salt and butter with your fingertips until they start to look more like fine breadcrumbs.
2. Next, stir in your icing sugar onto the flour mixture.
3. On a separate bowl, lightly beat your egg yolks and milk together. Add into the flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
5. Squidge the dough into a ball, wrap it in clingfilm and chill for 25-30 minutes before using.
6. When ready for use, roll the dough on flour dusted work surface.
Alternatively if you prefer to use a food processor- simply put the flour, salt, butter in the food processor and pulse until the butter is rubbed into the flour, which should resemble fine breadcrumbs. Then follow the instructions from step 2 onwards.
You can also add cinnamon powder, vanilla extract or pod into the pastry, if you decide to use vanilla extract, slightly reduce the amount of milk you add into the flour mixture to make sure that the dough doesn’t become too wet.