23cm fluted flan dish or tin about 3.5cm deep and a frying pan
Ingredients Serves 6:
For the Pastry, egg and cheese filling:
1. 1 pack ready rolled shop-bought short crust pastry if you are in a hurry or just feeling lazy, otherwise you can also make your own pastry by following “Savoury Shortcrust Pastry” instructions on the pastry section of this site.
2. 100g feta cheese, torn into pieces
3. 50g Gruyère cheese, grated
4. 450g crème fraîche
5. 4 eggs, lightly beaten
6. Pinch of Salt
7. Pinch of ground black pepper
8. A handful of thyme, leaves only
For the Spinach:
9. 15g butter
10. 1 clove of garlic, grated or crushed
11. 200g baby spinach leaves
12. ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
13. Pinch of Salt
14. Pinch of Ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Roll out pastry into a greased tin. Line it with baking paper so that the baking beans don’t get stuck onto the pastry.
3. Fill the lined pastry with the baking beans- ‘blind bake’ in the oven for 20 minutes, until the edges are light brown and dry. Remove the baking beans and baking paper, set the cooked pastry aside.
The Egg and Cheese filling:
4. Whisk 4 eggs, gruyère cheese and crème fraîche on a bowl. Season with a pinch of salt, ground black pepper and thyme leaves. Set aside.
For the Spinach:
5. On a large frying pan over medium heat, add 15g butter, just when the butter starts to melt add the garlic and stir for 1 minute, add spinach and cover with a lid. Cook until the spinach has just wilted.
6. Season the spinach with grated nutmeg, salt and black pepper.
7. Lay cooked spinach at the bottom of your pastry; add the feta cheese, pour the egg and cheese mixture over and bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until quiche mixture has set with just a slight wobble when lightly shaken.