This recipe is inspired from my recent trip to Israel where I discovered so many amazing vegetable dishes; such as this courgette lightly coated in olive oil, mixed with exotic herbs and spices, cooked simply in a ‘Tanur clay oven’ or lightly pan fried. Most restaurants will serve this as a starter, accompanied with a flat bread or matza and some wonderful hummus. This is an excellent dish to have as a starter or as a side dish and if you are not keen on courgettes you can alternatively use aubergines, bell pepper or other types of vegetables instead of courgettes. instead. It will tastes just as good!
1. 1 Courgette, finely sliced approx. ½ inch in thickness (can be peeled or unpeeled)
2. 2 tbsp. olive oil
3. ½ tsp. dried parsley
4. ½ tsp. dried coriander
5. ½ tsp. ground black pepper
6. ½ tsp. cumin powder (or cumin seeds pounded)
The Spiced Courgette:
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Meanwhile, in a roasting tin; rub the sliced courgettes with the olive oil and all the herbs and spices.
2. Place in the oven to bake for 35 minutes.