Ingredients Serves 4:
For the Gnocchi:
1. 4 large baking potatoes approx. 550g
2. 2 medium eggs
3. 150g flour
4. Pinch of salt
5. Pinch of pepper
6. 25g polenta (for dusting)
7. 2 pancetta slices
For the Sage and Butter Sauce:
8. 40g butter
9. 1 garlic clove, crushed or grated
10. 8 Sage leaves
11. 1 Courgette, finely chopped into small squares.
12. Pinch of Salt
13. Pinch of Ground Black Pepper
14. Pinch of Chilli flakes
15. 2 tbsp.Parmesan cheese, grated
For the Gnocchi:
1. In a large saucepan bring some water to the boil, add unpeeled potatoes and cook for 45-50 minutes.
2. Drain potatoes on a colander (return boiled water onto the sauce pan), peel the potato skin off.
3. Transfer peeled potatoes on a large bowl, season with a bit of salt and pepper and mash until smooth.
4. Add the flour and eggs one at a time, mixing to the mash potato. Knead the potato dough (the dough should be moist and not sticky, add a sprinkling of flour if it is sticky)
5. Roll the dough like a cigar on a flour dusted surface. Slice the dough in half, insert the pancetta and seal the dough again. Slice the dough in small squares approx. 1cm thick.
6. Sprinkle some polenta on a plate then add your gnocchi.
7. Reheat your sauce pan, add a pinch of salt, and add your gnocchi onto the boiling water one batch at a time. The gnocchi will rise up and float on the surface of a boiling water when they are cooked. Once cooked drain the gnocchi and plate.
For the Sauce:
8. On a large sauce pan over low heat, melt half of the butter with the chilli flakes and courgettes. Cook for 1 minute and add into your gnocchi.
9. Reheat your sauce pan, melt the remaining butter with the garlic for 1 minute. Add the sage leaves and cook till crisp.Spoon over the brown butter and sage into your gnocchi.