This lovely canapés are perfect for a dinner parties or movie nights with friends. Quick and easy to prepare and most importantly they can be prepared a day in advance. You can also freeze them and defrost at room temperature before baking them in the oven. You can also put any fillings you want, you can spread the palmiers with some other types of savoury spreads or just with parmesan cheese or even with those addictive ‘Nuttela’ sprinkled with some chopped hazelnut for a crisp texture, you can also simply use icing sugar and deep them in hot chocolate sauce once baked, Yum! Feel free to experiment and above all enjoy the baking and eating process!
A rolling pin, a fine sieve, a pastry brush and a baking tray.
For the pastry:
1. 1 pack ready rolled shop-bought puff pastry if you are in a hurry or just feeling lazy, otherwise you can also make your own pastry by following “All Butter Puff Pastry” instructions on the pastry section of this site.
2. 1 egg, lightly beaten for glazing
For the savoury filling:
3. 4 tbsp. of basil and pine nuts pesto (recipe to make your own pesto: Basil and Pine Nuts Pesto Recipe)
4. 10 sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
5. 2 pinches of salt
6. 2 pinches of ground black pepper
7. 10g. grated parmesan cheese
For the sweet filling:
8. 2 tbsp.icing sugar
9. 1 tbsp.cinnamon powder
10. 2 tbsp. mini chocolate chips or chocolate nibs pieces
1. On a well-floured work surface, roll the pastry out into a rectangle about 12 x 14in and the thickness of approx.3mm.
3. For the Sweet palmiers: Sprinkle the cinnamon powder, icing sugar and chocolate chips over the puff pastry.
5. Place into a large baking tray and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. This will make it easier for you to slice them into smaller pieces.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C.
7. Remove the rolled and filled puff pastry from the fridge and slice it into ½in thick pieces. Lay each pieces flat on the baking tray and brush only the top with a beaten egg.
8. Bake in the oven for 12–15 minutes until they all puffed up and golden-brown.
9. Remove the palmiers from the oven and leave to cool on the baking tray for just a couple of minutes.