A hug in a mug, perfect for a cold winters day, this is a versatile soup, to which you can add pieces of smoked haddock, chicken or crispy bacon pieces along with your vegetables while boiling the soup or you can add cooked haddock, cooked chicken pieces or bacon on top of your soup before serving. You can also freeze cooled/room temperature soup in several freezer bags to freeze for later consumption. To reheat, place the frozen soup bag in a tray either by your sink or in a fridge, allow to defrost overnight and then pour the soup over a pan and bring to a boil.
A large casserole deep pan, food processor or a blender and a wooden spoon.
1. A glug of olive oil
2. 2 celery sticks, chopped (discard leaves)
3. 2 onions, peeled and chopped
4. 2 cloves of chopped garlic
5. ½ tsp. of chilli flakes
6. 2 medium peeled and cut potatoes
7. 300g frozen corn kernels
8. 2 litres of good quality chicken stock
9. 300 ml. double cream
10. 30g. chopped parsley
11. Salt and pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a large casserole pan over medium heat.
2. Add celery, onions, garlic and chilli flakes. Fry for 3 minutes or until vegetables soften and onions turn translucent.
3. Add the potatoes and corn and fry for another 3 minutes before adding the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and lower the heat, simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Stir the cream and chopped parsley, season with salt and pepper.
Serve with crispy bacon, smoked haddock pieces or cooked chicken pieces with warm crusty bread.
C’est tout! Enjoy.