My Mom being a busy entrepreneur, didn’t cook much when I was growing up, but the few dishes she did cook she cooked really well. And this is certainly one of her dishes which my sister and I really love. It’s a very simple dish that reminds me of home. This is the kind of dish she would cook for us on a school night, when we got back from school. My Mom never gave this dish a name, so every time my sister and I fancied this dish we would ask her to cook her ‘beef dish with bell peppers’ that’s just what we call it. To make things easier to catalog, I named the recipe “Stir-fry Beef with Bell Peppers”. Though no doubt in our household it will forever be called ‘Mom’s amazing beef dish with bell peppers’. Enjoy.
A dish for marinade and a work for stir fry.
For the Beef Marinade:
1. Approx 220g beef sirloin, thinly sliced into strips
2. 1 clove of garlic, crushed of grated
3. 3 tbsp. light soy sauce
4. 1 tbsp. Worcester sauce
5. ½ tsp. sunflower oil
6. ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
7. ¼ tsp. chilli flakes
8. 1 bay leaf, torn into small pieces
For the Stir Fry:
9. 2 tbsp. sunflower oil
10. 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
11. 1 small onion, finely chopped
12. 1 bay leaf
13. 2 bell pepper, slice into strips
14. 3 tbsp. light soy sauce
15. ½ tbsp. dark soy sauce
16. Pinch of salt
17. ¼ of ground black pepper
18. 2 sprigs of spring onions, finely chopped.
1. Drain the beef off from the marinade.
2. On a wok, heat 2 tbsp. of oil, when the oil is smoking hot, add the garlic, onion and bay leaf stir fry until onion turns translucent and soft.
3. Add beef and bell peppers, fry for 1-2 minutes. Then season with the soy sauce, salt and pepper, finally add in the spring onions.