Sieve, bowl and knife
Ingredients Makes 300g:
1. 225g strong plain flour
2. Pinch of salt
3. 55g butter, cold and cubed
4. 55g lard, cold and cubed
5. 2-3 tbsp. very cold water
The Short Crust:
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl; add butter and lard into the bowl. Rub flour, salt, butter and lard with your fingertips until they start to look more like fine breadcrumbs.
2. Using a knife stir in 1 tbsp. of water to bind the dough together, if your dough is too dry add another tablespoonful of water.
3. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in clingfilm and chill for 25-30 minutes before using.
4. When ready for use, roll the dough on flour dusted work surface.
Alternatively if you prefer to use a food processor- simply put the flour, salt, butter and lard in the food processor and pulse until the butter and lard is rubbed into the flour, which should resemble fine breadcrumbs. Then follow the instructions from step 2 onwards.