Choux Ingredients Serves 8:
1. 180 ml milk
2. 180 ml water
3. 180g flour
4. 3 eggs
5. ½ teaspoon of salt
6. ½ teaspoon of sugar
7. 100g butter
8. 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
9. 45g gruyère cheese
10. A handful of nigella or poppy seeds
1. 1 egg yolk only
2. 2 tbsp of full fat milk
1. On a sauce pan over a medium heat, add the milk, water, 1 tsp of sugar and 1 tsp of salt. Bring all the ingredients to a boil.
2. Then add 180g flour, grated 30g gruyère cheese, 1tsp of Dijon mustard; mix until all the ingredients are incorporated, leave to rest for a few minutes until the mixture has cooled down.
3. Once the mixture has cooled down, add the 3 eggs one at a time stirring each time. The mixture should look glossy and smooth.
4. Add the mixture on a piping bag. Pipe the mixture to a size of approx. 1inch wide; leave some space between each piped mixture as they would expand whilst in the oven.
1. Follow the above ‘choux’ recipe, after piping them on a baking tray, brush the top with the egg and milk glaze.
2. Sprinkle some nigella or poppy seeds, then add 15g gruyère cheese. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown on top.
3. Remove from the oven and slide the knife making a tiny insertion onto the bottom side of the gougères to let the steam out, making the gougères crispy.