Ingredients Serves 4:
1. 4 large baking potatoes
2. 2 eggs
3. 150g flour
4. Pinch of salt
5. Pinch of pepper
6. 25g polenta
The Cream Sauce:
1. 1 tbsp of oil
2. 250g / 1 bag of spinach
3. A handful of pine nuts
4. 170ml single cream
5. 170g mascarpone
6. 3 cloves of thinly slice garlic
7. 4 rashers of diced bacon
8. A handful Dolce latte for garnish
9. Grated Parmeggiano cheese
10. Pinch of salt
11. Pinch of pepper
12. Pinch of nutmeg
1. In a large saucepan bring some water to the boil, add unpeeled potatoes and cook for 50 minutes.
2. Drain potatoes on a colander (return boiled water onto the sauce pan), peel the potato skin off.
3. Transfer peeled potatoes on a large bowl, season with a bit of salt and pepper and mash until smooth.
4. Add the flour and eggs one at a time, mixing to the mash potato. Knead the potato dough (the dough should be moist and not sticky, add a sprinkling of flour if it is sticky)
5. Roll the dough like a cigar on a flour dusted surface. Slice the dough in small squares approx. 1cm thick.
6. Sprinkle some polenta on a plate then add your gnocchi.
7. Reheat your sauce pan, add a pinch of salt, and add your gnocchi onto the boiling water one batch at a time. The gnocchi will rise up and float on the surface of a boiling water when they are cooked. Once cooked drain the gnocchi and plate.
The Cream Sauce:
1. Put a sauce pan on a medium heat, add 1 tbsp of oil, add diced bacon cook until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside.
2. Using the same sauce pan with the bacon fat and remaining oil, add the sliced garlic cook for 1 minute. Then add the spinach, cream, and mascarpone, ½ of the pine nuts, pinch of salt, pepper, nutmeg and some grated parmeggiano cheese. Stir until the sauce starts to thicken.
3. Remove from heat, pour the sauce over the gnocchi, sprinkle with crispy bacon, some pine nuts, some grated cheese and garnish with small torn dolce latte cheese.
Extra Tip: If you would like to make gnocchi tricolore (red, white and green gnocchi). Divide the gnocchi dough into 3 equal parts, and set one portion aside. Mix a portion of the dough with tomato paste, this makes the red gnocchi. For the green gnocchi, mix a portion of the dough with cooked, drained and finely chopped spinach, mix all together. Roll the red and green dough separately like a cigar on a flour dusted surface. Slice the 2 portions of dough in small squares approx. 1cm thick