Electric whisk, sauce pan, wooden spoon, 2 bowls and 8 small glasses/liqueur glasses
Ingredients Serves 8:
1. 6 eggs, whites only
2. ¼ tsp. lemon juice
3. 160g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa), broken into small equal size pieces
4. 2 tsp. cocoa powder
5. ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
6. 5 tsp. golden caster sugar
7. 2 tbsp. roasted chopped hazelnuts (optional)
8. 1½ tbsp. salted caramel spread (optional)
9. a pinch of chilli flakes
10. a handful of raspberries
The Chocolate Mousse:
1. Add your chocolate pieces in a bowl resting over a sauce pan of simmering water. (Make sure that the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the simmering water). When the chocolate starts to melt, stir in vanilla extract and cocoa powder, then turn off the heat.
2. In a separate clean bowl whisk the egg whites with the lemon juice into soft peaks, then add the sugar, and whisk briefly just until firm peaks form. It is important not to over whisk and lose the air. The lemon juice should help to preventing it from being over whisked.
6. This bit is optional: In a small sauce pan over a medium heat, dry-fry the chopped hazelnuts for 1 minute, then stir in the salted caramel. When the caramel starts to melt remove from the heat and leave aside to cool slightly for 1-2 minutes until the caramel hazelnut mixture sets. Sprinkle a couple of tiny chilli flakes over the top of the chocolate mousse, then spoon over the salted caramel hazelnuts, finish with a rasberry on the top. Alternatively simply sprinkle over some grated lemon, fresh raspberries or grated chocolates on top of the mousse before serving.
(NB: For this recipe I used a ready-made salted caramel spread, from Vannes in France which I got as a present. If you are unable to find salted caramel spread in your local supermarket you can also make this easily at home using basic ingredients. Below is a recipe I have written for making salted caramel spread.)
Ingredients for the Salted Caramel Hazelnut:
1. 2 tsp. of chopped hazelnut
2. Pinch of rock salt
3. 40g salted butter
4. 70g brown sugar
5. 150ml double cream
Making the Salted Caramel Hazelnut:
1. In a sauce pan, dry-fry the chopped hazelnuts for 1 minute. Add the salt, butter and sugar.
2. When the butter has melted and it’s golden-brown in colour, pour in the cream and bring to the boil.
3. Remove the pan from heat and set aside. When slightly cooled, spoon the salted caramel over the chocolate mousse