Chicken Tikka Masala:
A shallow dish for marinade and an oven proof dish.
Ingredients Serves 2:
For the Chicken Marinade:
1. 250g chicken breast, skin removed
2. 120g natural yoghurt
3. ½ tsp. ginger crushed or grated
4. ½ tsp. garlic crushed or grated
5. ¼ tsp. Paprika Powder
6. ¼ tsp. Cumin Powder
7. ¼ tsp. Coriander Powder
8. ¼ tsp. Chilli Powder
9. ¼ tsp. Garam Masala Powder
10. A pinch of ground black pepper
11. 2 cloves,
12. 2 cardamom pods
13. 1 cassia bark 2inches in length
14. 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
15. 2 tbsp. butter
For the Marinade:
1. On a shallow dish combine all the marinade ingredients listed above with the chicken, ensuring that the chicken is completely coated all over. Leave to marinade in the fridge for 24 hours.
2. Pre-heat oven to 200°C. Separate chicken pieces from the marinated liquid. Set marinated liquid aside.
3. In an oven proof dish, combine marinated chicken pieces with 2 tbsp. of butter. Place in the oven to roast for 30 minutes. Basting the chicken with the marinade throughout the roasting time.
4. Remove the chicken from the oven after 30 minutes. Then set the oven to grill at the highest temperature. Return the chicken in the oven to grill for 3-5 minutes. To check if the chicken pieces are cook, insert a knife into the thickest part of the chicken, if the juice that comes out from the chicken is clear, your chicken is cooked.
Serve immediately with naan bread or spiced vegetable rice.
For the Spiced Vegetable Fried Rice:
2 sauce pans and a frying pan.
Ingredients Serves 2:
1. 2 cups of basmati or pilau rice
2. 250 g Cauliflower
3. 100 g snake beans/french beans
4. 2 tbsp. sunflower oil
5. 1 onion, finely chopped
The Spices, sultanas and cashew:
6. 1 tsp. cumin seeds, crushed/pounded
7. ½ tsp.mustard seeds, crushed/pounded
8. ½ tsp turmeric powder
9. 1 cinnamon stick
10. 5 cardamom pods
16. 15g sultanas
17. 25g cashew nuts
18. Pinch of salt
19. Pinch of pepper
20. A handful of Coriander leaves, finely chopped
Spiced Vegetable Fried Rice:
1. Steam rice and set aside. On a separate sauce pan bring salted water to a boil add the cauliflower and cook for 10 minutes, add the snake beans/French beans into the same pan and cook for a further 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. On a frying pan over very high heat, add 2 tbsp. of oil. When the oil is very hot add your onions and fry for 2 minutes. Add all the spices above with the sultana and cashew and fry all together for 2 minutes. Add the cooked rice and vegetables into the pan and cook further for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and finally garnish some chopped coriander leaves.