This is one of my favourite easy weekday meals. A comforting and healthy meal that I enjoy. So easy to prepare and cook after a busy day at work. I often substitute the chicken with salmon and in some occasions only have the salad itself. The salad is so versatile that you can add any meat or fish you prefer. In my lazy moments, I won’t hesitate to buy a pre-marinated chicken or fish and so the only thing I need to do is grill them and prepare the salad which takes less than 15 minutes.
KITCHEN KIT: knife, chopping board, a large bowl, a small bowl, a small whisk, a griddle pan and a tong.
For the chicken marinade:
- 4 chicken breasts, scored
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 5 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley
- Juice of half a large lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the salad:
- baby Pomodoro tomatoes, halves
2 bell peppers, chopped (red and yellow)
- green and black olives halved
- feta cheese, diced
- 200g of couscous (cooked with 200 ml. of hot water)
- 100 g. of mixed leaves and rocket salad
For the salad dressing:
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- ¼ tsp. of chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp. of freshly grounded black pepper
- Mix all the chicken marinade listed above, marinade the chicken in an airtight container in the fridge overnight or for at least 3 hours. Alternatively, buy a pre-marinated chicken, widely available in many supermarkets in U.K.
- Place the griddle pan over a very high heat, allow the pan to heat up for 1-2 minutes. When the pan is hot, add the marinated chicken and cooked on each side for 2-3 minutes. Then set aside.
The Salad and dressing:
- In a large bowl, place all the salad ingredients together and toss gently.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the salad dressings and pour over the salad.
- Add the cooked chicken and serve.