Ingredients Serves 6:
For the Sushi:
1. 250g Sushi rice
2. 1 pint of water
3. 60ml Mirin (sometimes labelled as Sushi seasoning)
4. 8 Nori Sushi sheets (dried seaweed sheets)
5. 100g smoked or fresh salmon
6. 100g smoked mackerel
7. 100g crab sticks
8. 1 Cucumber peeled and sliced into approx. 2 inch in length, soak in cold water and salt for 5 minutes.
9. 4 tsp. Wasabi paste (reduced quantity of wasabi paste for a lesser heat.)
10. 4 tbsp. Japanese light Soy sauce (different from a Chinese soy sauce, the Chinese soy sauce has a higher salt content)
11. 1 tbsp. Japanese Pickled Ginger
12. ½ tbsp. Wasabi paste
1. Rinse and drain the rice at least 5 times under cold water (this will reduce excess starch from the rice and will not make your rice too sticky).
2. Finally on a large saucepan, over medium heat pour over your rinsed and drained rice, add 1 pint of water into the pan and bring it to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes until there is no water left on the surface.
3. Remove the rice from the hob, transfer the rice on a large flat clean dish, damp a tea towel and use this to cover the rice. Allow rice to cool for 10-15 minutes.
4. Pour the Mirin over the cooled rice, use a rice spatula to cut through the rice (cutting through the rice rather than mixing it will retain the rice individual grain shapes and prevents the rice from becoming too sticky and glutinous)
5. Fan the rice with a Mirin for 1 -2 minutes.
Making the Sushi:
Note: there are many ways to make and roll and sushi, instructions below is just one example which is the Makizushi. If you would like to create a variety of sushi rolls and sizes, below are some picture instructions for reference.
6. To make the sushi place a bamboo sushi mat on a work surface, then place 1 Nori sheet on top. Spoon the rice over the Nori sheet; use a knife to spread it thinly, for one end of the Nori sheet leave approx. ½ inch of it empty or without rice, using your finger smear some water or Mirin over this, this will allow you to seal your sushi roll. (As you roll you can add more crab meat or cucumber slices if you wish as I have done in this picture, alternatively you can simply roll away and seal.)
7. Next add your crab meat, cucumber or other fillings on the rice, spread a little wasabi paste on it.
8. Roll up the bamboo mat gently pressing it with both hands to make sure that the sushi is rolled tightly on all sides, Remove the Sushi roll from the mat, you can if needed you can add more rice on the two ends of the sushi roll to fill any gaps. Place the sushi roll on a chopping board. Use a very sharp knife to slice your sushi, if your knife becomes too sticky, soak the sharp end of the knife on a bowl of warm water to remove the stickiness and continue slicing through.
Other Alternative Ways to roll and make a Sushi:
For another example of a roll Sushi (Makizushi):
9. To keep the sushi moist and tasty, cover it with a cling film and place in an airtight container before serving or storing in the fridge.
10. When ready to serve, serve it with some pickled ginger, soy sauce and wasabi paste.