Caldo Verde is a traditional Portuguese comfort ‘soup’ a national favourite which originated from the Minho Province of northern Portugal. Where there are Portuguese settlements/communities, there will certainly be Caldo Verde. A humble, tasty and heart-warming soup that brings back childhood memories and still gives me great comfort today. I hope this gives you as much comfort as it does to me.
KITCHEN KIT: knife, chopping board, a large casserole dish and a wooden spoon.
- 5 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp. of chilli flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika powder
- 1 chorizo sausage, chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped in equal sizes
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- large bunch of kale or cavolo nero, shredded
- 4 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil to serve.
- Gently fry the onions, garlic, chilli flakes, bay leaves, smoked paprika and chorizo in the olive oil until onions softened and translucent.
- Add the chopped potatoes and fry for just a minute. Add the stock, bring to the boil and let it simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- When the potatoes are ready, mash them into the broth to make a thick base. Add the shredded kale or cavolo nero simmer for another 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with some chopped chorizo, and drizzle more olive oil to serve.